Have you ever been in front of the camera and have no idea what to do with yourself or how to pose? It happens to all of us. Whether its how to turn your body to what to do with your hands, it can be completely uncomfortable to be the subject of a photograph. So, here are some tips on how to pose better.
- Don’t stand straight on to the camera. This will make you look wider then you actually are. Turn slightly to the left or the right.
- Put your weight on your back foot. This will move you back slightly from the camera. Remember, whatever is closest to the camera will look the biggest.
- Stand up straight. Sometimes, even when we think we are straight, we are still slouching. Think of having a string at the top of your head and in your mind, pull that string up.
- To make your arms look thinner, don’t allow them to rest on your body. This creates a smooshing effect and will make them look bigger. Instead, keep your arms slightly away from resting on your body.
- Men usually want to look powerful in photos, so being straight on to the camera will make you appear large and in charge
- To make your biceps look larger, keep them against your body.
- If you want to look leaner, shift your weight to your back foot.
- Don’t put all of your hand into your pocket. It will be bulky and look strange. Either tuck your thumb in your picket or your hand with your thumb out.
- To avoid or lessen a double chin, extend your chin out and down a small amount.
In the end, your photographer should be giving you tips along the way and making sure that you look the best you possibly can. When in doubt, ask questions!!